Updated: Nov 25, 2015
Requires OS: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10
Size: 3 MB
WinRAR 5 is a powerful archive manager for Windows. This is a powerful compression tool with many integrated additional functions to help you organize your compressed archives. It can backup your data and reduce size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files downloaded from Internet and create new archives in RAR and ZIP file format. The archiver puts you ahead of the crowd when it comes to compression. By consistently creating smaller archives, WinRAR is often faster than the competition. This will save you disc space, transmission costs AND valuable working time as well. WinRAR is ideal for multimedia files. It automatically recognizes and selects the best compression method.
The special compression algorithm compresses multimedia files, executables and object libraries particularly well. RAR files can usually compress content by 8 percent to 15 percent more than ZIP files can.
• Using WinRAR puts you ahead of the crowd when it comes to compression by consistently making smaller archives than the competition, saving disk space and transmission costs.
• The program provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, 7Z, Z archives.
• WinRAR offers a graphic interactive interface utilizing mouse and menus as well as the command line interface.
• WinRAR is easier to use than many other archivers with the inclusion of a special “Wizard” mode which allows instant access to the basic archiving functions through a simple question and answer procedure. This avoids confusion in the early stages of use.
• WinRAR offers you the benefit of industry strength archive encryption using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with a key of 128 bits.
• WinRAR supports files and archives up to 8,589 billion gigabytes in size. The number of archived files is, for all practical purposes, unlimited.
• WinRAR offers the ability to create selfextracting and multivolume archives. Recovery record and recovery volumes allow to reconstruct even physically damaged archives.
• WinRAR features are constantly being developed to keep WinRAR ahead of the pack.
What’s New :
1. Information about the critical vulnerability in WinRAR self-extracting
archives published in news in September and October 2015 is incorrect.
Unfortunately mass media failed to recognize that what was described
as WinRAR vulnerability is Windows OLE vulnerability patched
in November 2014:
Even if unpatched, this Windows OLE vulnerability does not introduce
new risk factors for WinRAR SFX archives.
Please read http://rarlab.com/vuln_sfx_html2.htm for more details.
No patches for WinRAR are needed.
2. Added extraction of multipart ZIP archives created by 7-Zip.
Such archives have .zip.001, .zip.002, … file extensions.
You need to open .zip.001 file in WinRAR shell to browse
or unpack such archive. All parts must be stored in the same folder
before starting extraction.
3. Added extraction of files split to multiple parts with .001,
.002, …, extensions. You can open .001 file as a usual archive
and then unpack its contents. WinRAR will combine all parts
and save them to extracted file. All parts must be stored
in the same folder before starting extraction.
“001” item is included to “Associate WinRAR with” list
in “Settings/Integration” dialog.
4. WinRAR file list allows to use mouse Back and Forward buttons
or Alt+Left and Alt+Right keyboard shortcuts to navigate
in recently visited folders.
5. Folder wildcards are allowed in RAR command line in file names to
archive. For example:
rar a backup c:backup2015**
will archive all ‘2015*’ folders in c:backup. Use -r switch to search
for ‘2015*’ also in c:backup subfolders.
6. “Extract” button in SFX archive is changed to “Pause” when extraction
is started, so it is possible to pause SFX extraction and resume it
7. “Skip encrypted” option in “Find files” dialog to silently skip
encrypted archives while performing search command.
8. Archive test command works for tar.gz, tar.bz2 and tar.xz archives.
Since TAR format does not provide file data checksums, WinRAR checks
only validity of GZIP, BZIP2 or XZ container.
9. Adding a new string to WinRAR diagnostic messages window could be
slow and affect the operation performance in case of thousands
of errors. Now it works fast regardless of errors number.
10. New ‘R’ object for -sc switch defines encoding of console
RAR messages sent to redirected files and pipes. For example:
rar lb -scur data > list.txt
will produce Unicode list.txt with archived file names.
11. Sleep time parameter in -ri<priority>[:<sleep_time>] switch is
adjusted to lower its impact to RAR performance and especially
to recovery record related operations. Higher sleep time values
are needed to reduce the system load to same level as
in previous versions.
12. Console RAR “l” and “v” commands display file time in YYYY-MM-DD
13. When extracting RAR and ZIP archives created in Unix, WinRAR maps
decomposed Unicode characters to precomposed. Such conversion
is required for some Unix and OS X archives to correctly unpack
non-English archived names in Windows. It works for Windows versions
starting from Windows Vista.
14. Modification time is set for all folders created when unpacking
.7z archives. Previous versions set it only for non-empty folders.
15. WinRAR prevents a computer to go to sleep by inactivity timeout
until current operation, such as archiving, extraction or another
archive processing, is done.
16. Total progress bar is displayed when extracting .arj, .lzh and .cab
archives (except multivolume archives).
17. Progress bar is displayed when deleting files after archiving
and when clearing “Archive” attribute of archived files.
18. “Test” command also verifies contents of NTFS alternate data streams
in RAR 3.x – 5.x archives. Previously their contents was checked
only during extraction command.
19. SFX module sets sfxstime environment variable, which contains
the module start time in “YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS-ms” format.
You can specify it in Path command if you need to generate a time
based unique installation path, such as “Path=myapp-%sfxstime%”.
20. Bugs fixed:
a) console RAR crashed instead of displaying an overwrite prompt
when attempting to add files to already existing volumes;
b) console RAR “lt” command did not display seconds in file timestamp;
c) WinRAR failed to decompress .xxe files if they did not include
“section N of xxencode” string in the body;
d) WinRAR could not restore contents of NTFS alternate data stream
saved with -os switch if it was split between different volumes
(1): Please use 7Zip/WinRAR/Universal Extractor to EXTRACT FILES
(2): run the setup
(3): Copy rarreg.key to Install Directory